May 20, 2011

marinated carrots

I have been craving this little carrot 'salad' for months.  I believe its originally an Uzbekistanian dish, and since thats where my husband's family is from we usually only eat it at huge extended family events. I guess there is different ways of making it and originally it calls for vinegar and oil, but my mother-in-law (who is a bit of a health-nut in her own way) makes it solemnly with lemon juice.  A bit frustrating getting any kind of recipe from her though, as its never a set measurement of ingredients... like "oh a little of that,"  and a "to your preference of this..." so usually it takes me a few tries to solve her riddles. This one, however was extremely easy! It tasted amazing and all completely raw. Too bad I didn't have that many carrots and could only make one generous serving. I saved some for Alex and he was mad that I only left him a little to taste.


1 lb of carrots, peeled and grated or chopped in (as long as possible) slices
4 garlic cloves, minced
juice of 1 1/2 lemons
1 teaspoon of sea salt
1 teaspoon of ground cumin
green onion and/or cilantro to taste 

Mix all the ingredients in a bowl until carrots are completely coated in marinade. 
Place in a jar or bowl with lid and allow to marinate in the refrigerator for a few hours.

5 comments:

  1. If this this why your running late to our pow wow i'm totally ok with it!! Lol. Yum!! Thanks for sharing I will make this. I Uzbek after all :

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm gonna make! (ps, i'm buying tj's pre shredded carrots, lol. seriously)

    ReplyDelete
  3. liska-dont know why i didnt think of that!

    ReplyDelete